Development of Urban Roads Maintenance Strategy under Outer Ring Road (C59) Improvement Project
Kenya Urban Roads Authority (KURA)
African Development Bank (AfDB)
The Urban Roads Maintenance Strategy is intended to provide a framework for effective provision of maintenance for urban roads across the entire country. As part of this, a suitable framework for a Road Asset Management System will be developed and a Road Maintenance Management System (RMMS) will be developed and implemented, together with a web-based mapping system for urban roads in the country. The RMMS will have the capacity to allow for the future integration of urban road networks governed by other road authorities outside of KURA. The RMMS developed should be commissioned and be in operation upon completion of the assignment including provision of a mechanism for continuous update. At least five (5) KURA staff are to be trained on its usage.
KURA contracted the services of IT Transport and AMA Consulting Engineers to develop a maintenance strategy for the urban roads network. The main purpose of the assessment was to develop a framework for a Road Asset Management System covering pavements, bridges, roadside furniture and slopes, and traffic control devices; and developing and implementing a Road Maintenance Management System and an associated mapping System. In achieving this, IT transport and AMA undertook the following:
- Reviewed/ articulated national road maintenance policy for urban roads
- Assessed the current state of road maintenance management practice in Kenya and established the investment needs required to sustainably keep the road network in acceptable condition
- Undertook a road condition and inventory survey for the entire urban road network as an input for the RMMS;
- Collected traffic data on the urban roads network and formulated a framework for undertaking such surveys and consequent analyses in the future. This was necessary since because the traffic database should be part of the RMMS;
- Developed the RMMS for urban roads and trained KURA staff on using it as a management system and updating it in the future.
- Reviewed the current system for prioritisation and programming of urban roads for maintenance and proposed an improvement of the system based on international best practice.
- Developed a maintenance strategy for urban roads.